New course offerings will be posted the first week in September. We are looking forward to some great courses this fall! (Courses presently listed are from Spring, 2014.)
The Fall 2014 Semester Step-Up classes begin on Friday, September 12, 2014. The list of new courses for the Fall semester and opening date for registration will be posted at the beginning of September.
The Step-Up Enrichment Program at Saint Vincent College is a program open to all families who are actively home schooling or cyber schooling children in grades PreK - grade 12. Home study students from the surrounding area may choose to participate in as many as three enrichment courses designed and taught by college students who are enrolled in the teacher certification program and supervised by faculty. The courses are held on the campus of Saint Vincent College every Friday afternoon. Each course consists of ten one-hour classes each semester. Each semester brings a new list of course choices in each grade span.
The goals of the STEP-UP Program are to:
1) Offer assistance and support to home-school families in meeting instructional needs to meet requirements for their specific curricular goals.
2) Encourage a collaborative learning experience through group projects with other home-schooled and cyber schooled students in the area.
3) Enrich the learning experience of nontraditional students through a variety of interesting enrichment units taught by college students in the field of education who aspire to be teachers.
The Step-Up Program offers...
- a unique and exciting opportunity for home schooled and cyber schooled students to interact with other students who share common interests.
- an opportunity for home schooled and cyber schooled students to transition into college classroom settings and reduce anxiety when planning for college.
- pre-service instructors the chance to teach the courses in a required field experience. These college students hold a 3.0 GPA or higher, and must have criminal and child abuse clearances before entering into a classroom.
- home schooled and cyber schooled students the opportunity to choose courses specifically designed to meet their interests while meeting curriculum requirements.