Welcome to Step-Up!
The remaining schedule is
April 4, 11 and April 25.
*Please check the updates to our Events and Opportunities for Families Page.
See what is happening in April! This page is updated regularly.*
STEP-UP Enrichment Program
During the spring and fall semesters, home-schooled and home study students from local communities participate in the Step-Up Enrichment Program. The one-hour enrichment courses are held in various locations on the campus of Saint Vincent College every Friday afternoon. These courses are designed and taught by college students who are enrolled in the teacher certification program. The college students are supervised by St. Vincent faculty whose previous experience includes public school administration. Classes are offered from Preschool to Grade Twelve.
The goals of the STEP-UP Program are to:
1) Offer assistance and support to home-school families in meeting instructional needs to meet requirements for their specific curricular goals.
2) Encourage collaborative learning with other home-schooled students in the area.
3) Enrich the learning experience of nontraditional students through a variety of interesting enrichment units taught by college students in the field of education who aspire to be teachers.
4) Familiarize nontraditional students with the educational process.
The Step-Up Program offers...
- a unique and exciting opportunity for homeschoolers to interact with other students who share common interests.
- an opportunity for homeschoolers to transition into college classroom settings and reduce anxiety when planning for college.
- pre-service instructors the chance to teach the courses in a required field experience. These college students hold a 3.0 GPA or higher, and must have criminal and child abuse clearances before entering into a classroom.
- homeschoolers the opportunity to choose courses specifically designed to meet their interests while meeting curriculum requirements.